Thursday, April 23, 2009

This Month's Header, The Chopper Dog Phenomenon


I chose this art to represent this time of year. A time when one's interest in the opposite sex seems to be heightened.

Back around 2001 I started making black and white prints to sell at swap meets and shows. For each show I came up with a new piece of art. For the 4th or 5th design I decided to create a Rat Fink type character. A cartoon half dog/human seemed to be the perfect choice for exaggerating it's features and the name Chopper Dog automatically came to mind. It just sounded right.

Then a funny thing happened. When I started to display the prints at the shows, people seem to be compelled to say "Chopper Dog" out loud when they stopped by my booth. It was like they couldn't not say it! This continued to happen all day at every show I've ever done. I guess it's just a fun combination of words to say.

This is a one of 3 "hand colored" prints I've made and sold. If you're interested, I can make you one. Contact me for details.

Another thing. Around 2001-02 I sent out promotional packets of art samples to builders and publications in the motorcycle industry and this included the Chopper Dog art. One of these people was Jesse James. I never heard from him but, a little later he started a membership website called chopperdogs.com. Yes, it was dogs , not dog but, I sort of felt ripped off. Did he knowingly adopt the name or was it a unconscious/subliminal suggestion?

Last Note: I sold the black and white prints with or without Kitty (the woman). The ones with Kitty seem to be a little more popular and I still have a few of each left. Also, I may make some Chopper Dog T-shirts. Would any of you be interested if I did?

1 comment: