Monday, September 10, 2012

It ain't El Camino if it's not at El Camino, or...

...Bigger Ain't Always Better!

I was very disappointed when I received the mailer announcing the location change. Once I visited their website I found that they couldn't have it at El Camino College since the parking structure is being refitted for seismic reasons, but they won't be bringing it back! since they claim they turn away 30 to 50 vendors. Now, anybody who's been there knows, it's already big enough. Once you take in all the vendors, there's little time to check out the show, or visa versa.

The bigger problem I have with the change. Maybe I'm selfish since El Camino (in Torrance), is only about 4 miles from my home, but if you consider the weather differences, it's a bad move for all. September is one of the hottest times of year in Socal and that already made for warm temperatures for some years.

I compared the 5 day forecast highs of the two locations by their zip codes today. El Camino: Today 80°, Friday 84°. Iriwindale: Today 94°, Friday 100°. If this keeps up, I may blow it off and just go to the Long Beach Swap the next day, which my brother mentioned would have been a good temporary location since LB Veterans Stadium is not usually booked on Saturdays.

By the way, yes, things always change. The show hasn't really been at El Camino for 37 years, but actually since 1987. For weather and space, that change was for the better than when it was in the mall parking lots of La Mirada and La Habra. Another change. Unlike the current promoter states, it used to always be on the first Saturday in October.

For more info or complaints: ClassicCycleEvents.com

2 comments:

Noot said...

The best way to kill a perfectly good event is to move it (Ex. Viking Chapter AMCA vintage meet) However, don't get too snarked over the move. Just get out there and buy some stuff, take some pics - and I'm sure it won't be that bad . . . At least they still have a swap meet for you poor Californians out there !

Chris K said...

Noot, I haven't completely ruled out going. It will really depend on the weather that day.

I'm a spoiled weather pussy since I live only 1 mile from the beach where most summer days are in the mid 70's and the air is clean by LA standards. The event at it's current location has already had some really hot years, so riding 40 miles to stand around in the smoggy 90° + heat of the San Gabriel Valley with no shade just doesn't sound that good.

Plus this side note: Every year, many of the same vendors show up at Long Beach the next day with lowered prices!