Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Funny Bike 2 Omission

I accidentally omitted this photo in the last post. It was in a separate email from Bruce and got overlooked. I did notice while setting up the last post that there was no right side shot of the bike, so I'm glad to have found it.

Bruce was smart. It's a good idea to build a bike and ride it before making it pretty. The black bike behind Bruce's belonged to Ben Stoner and the blue one, Gary French. Ben's seat was covered with denim. While the execution may be different, this photo illustrates some of the similarities among South Bay Bikes, and practically begs the question, did anyone with a Dick Allen springer not run a Sportster headlight? Photo: Corona, Ca Nov. 1977 Bruce Parrish

5 comments:

drsprocket said...

Chris, look at a post on the 4Q Conditioning blog that Max put up today of my friend Chuck's Shovel in 1977. Same neck treatment w/Dick Allen fork (with 3 axle holes in the rockers for adjustment), 17" front wheel, 4 bar sissy bar, 12 spoke 15" mag rear wheel, etc. South Bay machine 1977. Just sayin' Rich

drsprocket said...

Chris, Almost forgot the sportster headlight!

Chris K said...

Doc, I saw that photo by chance earlier today. I wondered about it since Bruce had sent it to me with instructions to contact Chuck before posting. I asked Bruce about it today. He sent it to Chuck and Chuck now told him he sent it to you.

Carla said...

I couldn't agree more on the similarities of South Bay bikes. They look like triplets in different clothes.

Cynthia said...

Nice picture! I like those bikes with exceptionally long forks. I have never ride on this kind of bikes and I always wonder how it feels. You're right about the idea to build a bike and ride it before making it pretty. I admire the design of these bikes. Its really great!