Thursday, September 25, 2008

El Camino Motorcycle Show 2008

It was one of those great weekends packed full of biking good times. Last Saturday the 33rd Annual Antique Motorcycle Show was held at El Camino College.

Two oldies. Nice but, perfect museum pieces are starting to bore me

It's always one of my favorite events of the year. My brother and I decided to put our bikes in the show at the last minute. We didn't do it cause we thought we'd win but instead for the comradeship with friends, spectators, participants, and to support the event. It's also the best place to park.

The old gal must of been proud, she didn't drip like usual

Cup 'o' second

I was really surprised that my 70 shovel placed 2nd in the American Classic 1965-1988 class. It kind of makes up for when they put me in the wrong (original un-restored), class in 2006.

This very nice fresh restored red 66 took first in the 65-88 class. It had been badly damaged in a fire. Turned out a friend of mine assisted with the restoration.


Paul Wheeler's Cop Bike. Many originally sought Cop bikes and Dressers only for their chopper potential. Funny how later, the "admiration of the potential" becomes the new cool. I think that's one reason why primered rods and bikes have become cool.

I thought for sure Paul Wheeler's 67 Police bike would take first and told him so. For some reason his bike didn't even get third, he did get a Sponsor's Choice Plaque. I didn't feel too bad for him as he built the second place bike in the Bobber class and has won a ton of trophies at this and other prior events.

My score, 96 points. Not bad for a ride in 14 year old restoration

Even though this year's event was the biggest ever , it might die. Glenn Bator of Bator International is weary of throwing it. He's hosted it for the last 9 years. There was one year it didn't happen between him and the previous promoter. Hope someone steps up. It would be a shame to see this traditional event die after 33 years.

Who doesn't like a Knuckle Bobber?


Coolest bike at show? My bro though so


This Salsbury is one Meaty Scooter


Clean Knuck by Paul Wheeler


Nice Captain America replica but, is the fork is too long and raked too much?

This year Indian Lewy was a Happy Loser!

The swap meet was great (I found a nice lower fork tree for my 65), and there was a ton of nice bikes. Like always, they were not just in the show but, in the vendors booths as well. Between hunting for parts, entering the show and talking with friends, I just wasn't up to the chore of taking a bunch of pictures this year. That will do pig.

No comments: